Moist and flavorful apple crumb coffee cake topped with an apple, oatmeal, and brown sugar streusel.
Soft and Flavorful Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
This soft and flavorful coffee cake gives you all those warm and cozy feels! The apples are cubed and mixed into the cake batter making every bite of cake a bite full of apple deliciousness.
This cake has a super moist base with a cinnamon sugar filling. The streusel topping is made with oats, brown sugar, and more apple pieces. It gives a nice crunch to this very moist cake.
Topping this cake is a sweet vanilla cinnamon glaze. The flavors mingle together to create the ultimate comfort flavors.
RELATED: Caramel Banana Muffins
Apple Streusel Topping
The crumb topping on this cake is made with oats, flour, brown sugar, and butter. To make this topping it's easiest to melt the butter before adding the other ingredients.
Using your fingers to create the crumbles makes it easier instead of using a fork as well.
Once the mixture is blended and crumbly, simply sprinkle the streusel topping to the top of the cake and place it in the oven to bake. No covering with aluminum foil necessary!
RELATED: Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Sweet Cinnamon Glaze
Making a glaze for cakes and desserts is so simple and it only takes a few ingredients. Confectioner's sugar is blended together with vanilla, and cinnamon. The consistency can be controlled by adding 1 tablespoon of milk at a time.
The key is to not make the drizzle too runny so that it doesn't slide off the cake and not making it too thick so that it doesn't want to create a drizzle at all.
It's important to drizzle the glaze on a completely cool cake so that it doesn't seep down into the cake and create a nice drizzle on top.
Choosing the Right Apples
When making this coffee cake, it's best to use tart apples. Jonagold apples are delicious in this cake but other delicious and great apples to use are Granny Smith, Pink Lady, Cortland, and McIntosh apples.
The apples in this recipe are peeled and diced small.
Ingredients in Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
- Granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil
- Orange juice
- Vanilla extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking powder
- Apples, tart
- Ground cinnamon
- Butter, melted
- Brown sugar
- Confectioner's sugar
How to Make Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
Preheat the oven and prepare the baking dish- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a 13x9 baking dish.
Peel and cut the apples- Wash, peel, and chop the apples into small pieces.
Combine the wet ingredients- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, eggs, and oil. Then, mix in the vanilla extract and orange juice.
Combine the dry ingredients- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Mix the ingredients together- Slowly beat the dry mixture into the wet ingredients, careful not to overbeat.
Stir in the apples- Stir the peeled and cubed apples into the coffee cake batter. Reserve apples for the apple streusel topping.
Make the cinnamon filling- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining sugar and ground cinnamon.
Layer the batter- Pour half of the mixture into the greased baking dish and sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top.
Pour the remaining batter on top and spread it out evenly.
Create the apple streusel- Combine the softened butter, cubed apple, brown sugar, flour, and oats. Combine until crumbly and sprinkle on top of the cake.
Bake- Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick to check for doneness.
Cool- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before glazing.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tart apples, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
Oatmeal Streusel Topping
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tart apple, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-5 tablespoon of milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a 13x9 baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, eggs, and oil.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and orange juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly beat the dry mixture into the wet ingredients, careful not to overbeat.
- Stir in the peeled and cubed apples.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Pour half of the mixture into the greased baking dish and sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture on top.
- Pour the remaining batter on top and spread it out evenly.
- Combine the softened butter, cubed apple, brown sugar, flour, and oats. Combine until crumbly and sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick to check for doneness.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before glazing.
- Mix together the ground cinnamon, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla. Stir to mix and add in 1 tablespoon of milk at a time. Mix until creamy and smooth. Drizzle on cool cake.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 469Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 226mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 2gSugar: 41gProtein: 6g