Sizzling hot blackened chicken made in a cast-iron skillet and served on a bed of fresh black bean salsa. This dish is naturally gluten-free!
Blackened chicken is the method of getting a cast iron skillet or other heavy bottom pan smoking hot and adding buttered and seasoned chicken and searing it.
It sits untouched for about 5 minutes before getting flipped and being seared on the other side.
The seasonings for this recipe include chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne. Cayenne is what controls the heat in this dish so if you want your chicken to pack more heat, add more cayenne.
Ways to Serve
Other than serving this chicken with Cajun seasonings on a bed of fresh bean salsa, it serves well on a bed of salad with freshly diced tomatoes and avocados.
Pineapple Pico de Gallo also pairs wonderfully with this chicken because it’s a great balance for the heat in this dish.
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa is heart-healthy and makes a perfect side for this blackened chicken. It comes together in just a matter of minutes and it tastes wonderful whether it’s cold or hot.
For this recipe, it is added to the hot skillet and seared for just a few minutes before adding the chicken back to the skillet.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter, unsalted and melted
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup supersweet corn
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 15 oz black beans, drained & rinsed
- Combine the chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Trim fat off the chicken breasts and beat using a meat mallet to make them all the same thickness. Aim for around 1/2".
- Melt the butter and coat the chicken breasts and then rub the spices on the chicken.
- Add the olive oil to a cast-iron skillet and heat on high.
- Once the skillet starts to smoke, lay the chicken breasts into the pan.
- Cook on one side for about 5 minutes.
- Flip and cook on the other side for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and reduce the heat. (Check for the temperature of 165°F)
- Add the rinsed and drained black beans, the diced Roma tomatoes and onions, supersweet corn, lime juice, and the red wine vinegar to the skillet.
- Stir to combine.
- Place the chicken on top of the bean salsa and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 260mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 12gSugar: 5gProtein: 49g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.