These chicken fajita quesadillas have all of the flavors you would expect in chicken fajitas. These quesadillas are stuffed with seasoned chicken, crisp peppers and onions, and cheese.
Perfect for Taco Tuesday
These chicken fajita quesadillas are a fun and tasty spin for Taco Tuesday. Serve these quesadillas with sour cream, guacamole, and some fresh salsa to make it a complete meal!
Seasoned Chicken for Fajitas
The key to delicious chicken fajitas is the seasoning. The chicken should be coated in the seasonings before cooking to enhance the flavor.
To do this, trim the fat from the boneless chicken breasts and pound them out to about 1/2″ thick using a meat mallet.
When using a meat mallet, place your meat between two pieces of saran wrap on top of cutting board. This way, the meat mallet doesn’t get contaminated.
Combine the spices together in a bowl and then add the chicken to a Ziploc bag. Pour the fajita seasoning mix into the bag with the chicken and seal it. Use your hands to massage the seasonings onto the chicken and make sure to cover it well.
Making Chicken Fajitas
To cook the seasoned chicken, heat a nonstick skillet or a nonstick grill pan on medium heat and drizzle olive oil.
Allow the pan to heat until sprinkling a small amount of water on to the pan causes it to sizzle.
Add the chicken breasts down into the pan and allow them to cook for 6 minutes before flipping. Once flipped, cook for an additional 6 minutes. Chicken breasts should reach an internal temperature of 165° before it is safe to consume. Cooktops vary in temperature and the cooking time should be adjusted as needed.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Drizzle about 1 tbsp of oil into the pan and add the sliced bell peppers and sliced onions. Saute until the veggies are crisp tender. Remove from the pan.
Replace the grill pan with a griddle pan or another flat pan. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and adjust the temperature to medium.
Sprinkle the cheese onto half of the tortilla and fill with the prepped veggies and sliced chicken. Sprinkle with additional cheese and cover the filling with the other side of the tortilla. Add the desired amount of cheese to make these quesadillas even more cheesy.
To finish these chicken quesadillas, Add the tortilla to the preheated pan and cook for 1 minute before flipping. Adjust the heat as necessary. Respray with nonstick spray as needed. Serve the chicken fajita quesadillas with desired garnishments and sides.
RELATED: White Chicken Quesadillas
Chicken Fajita Quesadilla Garnishments
When serving these Fajita Quesadillas, they can be served with a variety of toppings. One of our favorites is this Homemade Red Salsa. Freshly made guacamole, sour cream, and a side of tortilla chips easily make these chicken fajita quesadillas a fulfilling meal.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
- 1 lb chicken breasts*
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 flour tortillas (I use the large burrito tortillas sliced in half)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- cooking spray
- Combine the fajita seasoning and set aside.
- Trim fat from the chicken breasts and pound out to 1/2 inch thick.
- Add the chicken to a Ziploc bag and add in the spices. Close the bag and massage with fingers to coat chicken well.
- Heat a skillet to medium and drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Cook the chicken for 6 minutes on each side.**
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the peppers and onions.
- Remove from the pan and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and add the sliced veggies.
- Saute until the veggies are crisp-tender. Remove from the pan.
- Mix together the cheeses and slice the chicken into thin strips.
- Using a griddle pan or other flat pan, spray with nonstick cooking spray and allow it to heat on medium.
- Fill half of the tortilla will a thin layer of cheese, layer with the veggies, strips of chicken, and top with cheeses.
- Fold the tortilla on top of the filling and heat in the pan for about 1 minute. Check to make sure it is browning well. Adjust temperature if needed.
- Slice the tortillas in half and serve with garnishments of choice.
Pound the boneless chicken breast out to about 1/2" thick using a meta mallet.
**Chicken should be cooked to reach the internal temperature of 165° before it is safe to consume. Adjust the cooking times and temperature as necessary.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 375Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 622mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 26g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.