Not your average French toast. This version is stuffed with sweet cream cheese, dipped in egg, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and fried on the griddle or in a skillet.
The sweet cream cheese takes just a few ingredients to make and is spread between two slices of thick bread before being dipped in the egg mixture and fried to a beautiful golden color.
Mixed berries, honey, and/or maple syrup is the perfect way to top this deliciously sweet French toast breakfast.
Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Making this homemade French toast couldn’t be easier and it perfect to make for a quick breakfast. Thick sliced bread takes French toast to the next level with the fluffiness and thickness of the bread. It soaks in the flavors of sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg along with the milk and eggs without getting soggy.
This French toast isn’t just for breakfast as it’s a great option to serve for brunch. It’s a deliciously sweet option to serve and pairs well with savory sides of eggs, bacon, or sausage.
RELATED: Cake Mix Blueberry Muffins
Ingredients in Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Basic ingredients come together to make this decadent and deliciously sweet French toast. The full list of ingredients and their measurements can be found in recipe card at the end of the post.
To make the French toast you will need these ingredients:
- Thick sliced bread – this helps the dipped toast hold it’s shape
- Eggs – beaten
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Granulated Sugar
Ingredients for the sweet cream cheese:
- Cream cheese – softened cream cheese makes it easier to blend with the other ingredients.
- Vanilla extract
- Confectioner’s sugar
French Toast toppings:
You can get creative with your toppings but the classics are:
- Berries – any type of berry you like or a mixed variety. Frozen or fresh works well.
- Maple Syrup – warmed maple syrup is best
RELATED: Apple Cinnamon Roll Bake
How to Make Stuffed French Toast
The steps are simple to make this French toast and takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish to make.
To make the cream cheese easy to spread, allow the cream cheese to come to room temperature before mixing it together with the confectioner’s sugar and the vanilla extract. Cream the mixture together until it is creamy and smooth. Softened cream cheese will make it creamier faster.
Once the cream cheese spread is made, set it aside and prepare the ingredients for the French toast dip.
Beat the eggs, milk, ground cinnamon, sugar, and ground nutmeg together until well incorporated. A whisk is very useful when combining these ingredients.
When the mixture is ready to go, heat a griddle or skillet on medium heat. Add butter to the skillet or griddle and allow it get hot. Don’t add the bread to a skillet that is not hot. You want the butter and ingredients to sear into the toast so that the bread isn’t soggy.
Spread the cream cheese on once slice of bread and place another slice of bread on top to create a sandwich.
Dip the sandwich into egg mixture, flip and dip the other side, and then shake off any excess.
Place the dipped bread onto the hot skillet or griddle until golden brown.
Once it is golden brown, flip the sandwich and repeat the process until all of the toast is made.
Serve this stuffed French toast your favorite berries, fresh or frozen. Warm maple syrup is a great topping as well as honey. This breakfast is best eaten while hot.
- 8 slices thick sliced bread
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp butter, divided
Sweet Cream Cheese Spread
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/ vanilla extract
- 1 cup berries of choice
- 1 cup berries of choice
- Maple syrup, warm
- Maple syrup, warm
- Cream together the softened cream cheese and vanilla extract.
- Add in the confectioner's sugar, blending well until cream cheese mixture is soft and smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl that will fit the bread, whisk together the eggs, milk, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Spread the cream cheese evenly on the bread and create a sandwich by topping the cream cheese with another slice.
- Dip the sandwiches into egg mixture, dipping both sides. Shake off any excess.
- Add a little bit of the 1 tbsp of butter to a skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the dipped French toast to the skillet.
- Fry on medium heat until golden brown, flip, and repeat.
- Prepare the remaining French toast by repeating these steps.
- Serve with warm maple syrup, your choice of berries, and/or honey.
Fresh or frozen berries work well with this recipe. Any variety of berries will work well based on flavor preference.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 437Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 456mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 5gSugar: 27gProtein: 12g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.