With a mouth full of chocolate flavor and chocolate chips, this double chocolate muffins recipe is for the chocoholics.
These chocolate muffins are moist and tender and absolutely delicious with either milk or orange juice and are a family favorite recipe.
Ingredients in Double Chocolate Muffins
- Cocoa powder
- Vanilla extract
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
RELATED: Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
How to Make Chocolate Muffins
Combine the wet ingredients- In a large bowl, beat the two eggs together with the granulated sugar and the vanilla extract. Stir in the melted butter and the cocoa powder.
Combine the dry ingredients- In a separate bowl, combine together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Make the double chocolate muffins- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just incorporated.
Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
TIP: To prevent the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom, toss them in a little bit of flour before mixing them into the batter - no more sinking!
Pour the batter into liners- Divide the batter equally between 12 cupcake liners. Top the muffin batter with additional chocolate chips.
Bake- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Allow these double chocolate muffins to cool completely before removing them from the muffin pan and store the chocolate muffins in an air-tight container.
RELATED: Caramel Banana Muffins
Tips for the Best Chocolate Muffins
There are a few tips to follow when making muffins to ensure you have moist tender muffins.
- Start with room temperature ingredients- Starting with room temperature ingredients will help take some of the work out of mixing. It also will help prevent overmixing the batter.
- Don't overmix- It's simple, don't overwork the muffin batter. If using a hand mixer, beat on low until the ingredients are just combined. By the time the dry ingredients are mixed into the batter, the other ingredients will be nicely incorporated.
- Keep the wet ingredients separate from the dry ingredients- This will help prevent overmixing the ingredients. The wet ingredients will come together quickly and will be creamy.
- If the ingredients are added all at once it will take a lot of extra work to combine the ingredients together and it will result in dry dense muffins. No one wants that!
- Use muffin (cupcake) liners- Using cupcake liners is a great way to ensure that the muffins don't stick in the pans and fall apart. You can also choose to spray with nonstick baking spray but liners are a sure thing.
- Cookie scoops are your friend- Cookie scoops help transfer the muffin batter from the bowl to the muffin pan without making a mix.
- Evenly scoop your batter into the cups- By doing this, you will have evenly baked muffins that look uniform in size.
- Top with extra toppings - For these double chocolate muffins, sprinkling extra chocolate chips on top of the batter before baking will not only make these extra chocolatey and yummy but also nice looking.
- Don't fill to the top- Filling muffin batter (or cupcake batter) to the top is a sure way to have your baked goods overflow when baking. If the recipe calls to either be filled halfway or three-quarters of the way, do just that!
How to Freeze Muffins
Muffins can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, spooned & leveled
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, beat the two eggs together with the granulated sugar and the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the melted butter and the cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, combine together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just incorporated.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter equally between 12 cupcake liners.
- Top the muffin batter with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool completely before removing them from the muffin pan.
To freeze these muffins, wrap them tightly and freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 234mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 5g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.