Homemade chocolate chip granola bars made in a matter of minutes with old-fashioned oats, puffed rice, and brown sugar.
No-Bake Granola Bars
These granola bars are super easy to make and there’s no need to bake them. Once the syrup for these bars is melted down and cooked on a low boil, it’s added to the granola mixture, stirred, and poured into an 8×8 square dish.
Granola bars are so easy to make at home and it’s great to know what all is added to them. The syrup base is just butter, honey, and brown sugar with a little touch of salt and vanilla extract. It’s melted together and heated on a low boil to thicken the syrup. This allows the granola and mix-ins to hold together.
This recipe is made with mini chocolate chips but they can be swapped out or added to.
Some Mix-In Ideas for these granola bars are:
- Chocolate Candies
- Pretzel Bits
- Peanut butter
- Dried Fruit
- White Chocolate Chips
Making the Homemade Granola Bars
Once the honey mixture is melted down and boiled on low for about 2-3 minutes, it is poured over the old-fashioned oat – puffed rice cereal mixture and blended well. Half of the mini chocolate chips are added in and then pressed evenly into the prepared square dish.
The remaining mini chocolate chips are sprinkled on the granola mixture and gently pressed in. The dish is then transferred to the refrigerator to chill for at least 1 hour before removing from the pan and then sliced into 10 equal rectangles.
There’s no need to store these bars in the refrigerator but for maximum quality and taste, consume within 1 week. Store them in an airtight container to prevent these granola bars from getting stale.
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup of puffed rice cereal
- 4 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Line an 8x8 square dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter add in the brown sugar.
- Stir in the honey and bring to a low boil for about 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Remove from heat and mix in the salt and vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, stir together the puffed rice cereal and the old-fashioned oats.
- Pour the butter mixture into the large bowl and stir to blend well.
- Add in 1/2 cup of the mini chocolate chips and pour the granola mixture into the prepared dish.
- Press the mixture evenly inside the dish, making sure to spread it out to the corners.
- Sprinkle the remaining mini chocolate chips on the granola mixture and gently press the chips into the granola.
- Chill the dish in the refrigerator before removing and cutting into the 10 rectangles.