A comforting and hearty Instant Pot Autumn Beef Stew made with baby red potatoes, carrots, and onions. Makes a great freeze and dump meal!
Easy Instant Pot Dinner
There are only a few simple steps to making this hearty beef stew. There isn’t much chopping involved either because this stew has chunks of veggies instead of small pieces. Baby red potatoes are sliced in half, and the onion is sliced instead of diced.
The carrots I use in this soup are baby-cut carrots. I add them whole and it cuts down on prep time.
Dump and Start Stew
This meal can be frozen ahead of time. Simply add the ingredients together except for the beef broth. Add the beef broth into the Instant Pot the day of pressure cooking and let the pot do the work!
It will take longer for the Instant Pot to come to pressure as everything will be solid but the cooking time should be the same. The beef will still be tender and flavorful – it saves time and is perfect for busy weeknights.
Hearty Instant Pot Beef Stew
There aren’t a lot of ingredients in this recipe and it’s still flavorful and delicious. This Instant Pot Autumn Beef Stew has beautiful colors of Fall and it’s a warm and comforting soup on cooler evenings.
RELATED: Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Lock in Flavor
Sauteeing the beef, carrots, and onions lock in the flavor of the beef. It creates juicy and tender pieces of beef and the onions become slightly caramelized.
This step can be skipped but I like to take a few extra minutes to sear the beef to lock in the flavor.
Of course, when creating a freeze and dump meal this step can’t be done. It still makes a delicious freezer meal!
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 10 baby red potatoes, scrubbed and sliced in half
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth, low sodium
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and cut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch + 3 tbsp water (for slurry)
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add the butter.
- Add the beef stew meat and brown all sides. Add the carrots and sliced onions.
- Press CANCEL and add the beef broth. Use a spatula to deglaze the pot.
- Add in the cut baby red potatoes, salt, parsley, thyme, and pepper.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK for 35 minutes.
- Allow the pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before performing a quick release.
- Remove the lid and set the Instant Pot SAUTE.
- Mix together the cornstarch and water to create a slurry and add to the pot. Stir the mixture into the stew and allow to thicken.
Using the Instant Pot yields soupy results. Creating a cornstarch slurry and adding it to the end thickens sauces up without effecting taste.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 540Total Fat: 18.3gSaturated Fat: 7.7gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 1161mgCarbohydrates: 43.5gFiber: 4.3gSugar: 5gProtein: 51g