Warm, cheesy, and comforting. This Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup is a family favorite and takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
This kid-friendly recipe has that cheesy flavor that kids love. This Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup is creamy, warm, and comforting. It has cubed potatoes that are tender and full-flavored as well as chopped carrots and celery. This soup essentially makes a complete meal!
Garnishing Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
We like to add lots of chopped bacon onto ours to increase the flavor of the soup – it’s really up to preference!
Chopped scallions are also a great addition to this soup. They create a crisp and fresh flavor to the meal. Adding extra cheese is always a must in our family because we really do like our food cheesy!
Making The Cheeseburger Soup
This soup is so easy to make and it’s only cooked under pressure for 5 minutes. The beef is sauteed first- if you want less or no fat to drain, use leaner ground beef. The chopped onions, celery, and carrots are added to the pot to saute at the same time as the beef.
The grease is drained from the beef once it is cooked and the beef and veggies are added back to the pot. The chicken broth is added in as well as all the seasonings.
The lid is then closed and set to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK depending on what model of pressure cooker you have and then the pot is allowed to naturally release for 10 minutes before releasing any remaining pressure. Once this step is complete, the lid is opened and the pot is set back to saute.
I use blocks of cheese for this next step because it melts so well and it’s rich and creamy. Milk is stirred in next, followed by the cornstarch slurry. The cornstarch slurry is created by mixing the cornstarch and water together before adding it to the pot. This prevents clumps from forming into the soup.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 1/2 tsp parsley
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 oz American Cheese
- 6 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- cooked and chopped bacon
- sour cream
- green scallions
- shredded cheese
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute and cook the beef. Add the chopped onion, carrots, and celery. Drain grease if necessary.
- Press cancel.
- Add the potatoes, chicken broth, and seasonings to the pot.
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot and set it to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK for 5 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 5 minutes before removing the lid.
- Set the pot back to Saute and add in the cheese, stir to melt.
- Add the milk.
- Create a cornstarch slurry by combining the cornstarch and water before stirring it into the pot.
- Allow the sauce to thicken for about 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Serve with chopped bacon, green scallions, cheese, etc.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 634Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 1576mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 41g