Incredibly flavorful Instant Pot root beer pulled pork made with a blend of complementary spices. Perfect for get-togethers and potlucks!
Instant Pot Root Beer Pulled Pork
Pulled pork is one of my favorite things to make in my Instant Pot because it’s so easy, comes out incredibly flavorful, and it makes enough to feed a crowd!
The best way to cook pork shoulder in a pressure cooker is to cut the pork into chunks before adding them to the pot.
Of course, you can dry rub a frozen pork shoulder or pork sirloin roast and pressure cook it! The only difference in the recipe will be the need to increase the cook time to about 75 minutes instead of 45 for the thawed pork.
Allowing the pressure cooker to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes is incredibly important when cooking meats in a pressure cooker. Releasing pressure too soon will result in tough and dry meat. Allow it to release naturally and it will come out fork tender.
The pot will also take longer to come to pressure by using a frozen roast but it will still come out absolutely delicious!
RELATED: Instant Pot Firehouse Chili
How to Shred Meat
Shredding meat doesn’t need to be a hassle or take very long! You can use methods including these three to get the job done. Of course, one way is more effective than the other.
- Forks – if forks are all you have on hand, it’ll get the job done, especially if your meat is tender.
- Meat Claws – Meat Claws are pretty much very large forks that shred the meat apart quickly.
- Hand Mixer – My favorite and the most effective way to shredding meat is to use a hand mixer.
Any way you choose to shred this pork for sandwiches, it will be easy to shred, especially when cutting your pork into chunks before pressure cooking.
Great for Potlucks
This pulled pork is perfect for potlucks! It can easily make 8 servings using regular sized buns and even more using slider buns!!
- 3-4 lb pork shoulder, cut into chunks
- 1 cup Root Beer or other soda of choice
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 ½ tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 bottle BBQ sauce of choice
- Cut the pork shoulder into chunks.
- Combine the minced garlic, brown sugar, chili powder, salt, cumin, and cinnamon together in a small bowl.
- Dry rub it onto the pork.
- Add the sliced onions into the Instant Pot, followed by the cup of Root Beer.
- Place the chunks of pork shoulder into the pot and close the lid.
- Pressure cook on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK for 45 minutes.
- Allow the pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before removing the lid.
- Remove the pork and onions from the liquid and shred the meat using two forks or using a hand mixer.
- Add the desired amount of BBQ sauce.