Meatball Sub turned casserole is a quick and easy way to prepare a weeknight meal. This fast-to-make meal is made with peppers and onions, cream cheese, and Italian bread.
Easy Weeknight Meal
This meal comes together quickly without a lot of fuss. This recipe uses simple ingredients and is layered into a 13x9 dish and baked for 30 minutes. It's fast, it's simple, and it's good.
I use sliced Italian bread for this meatball sub casserole. It's placed in one layer on the bottom of the casserole dish. A cream cheese layer is then spread evenly over the Italian bread, followed by Mozzarella cheese.
The next step is to add the diced peppers and onions. This elevates the classic meatball sub casserole and gives it more flavor.
Using frozen meatballs makes this meal almost effortless but they should still be thawed with making this dish. Your favorite pasta sauce and water is combined together and the meatballs are then coated in the sauce mixture.
The meatballs are then spread evenly on top of the other layers and the remaining cheese is then sprinkled onto the meatballs.
It only takes 30 minutes in the oven to bake this meatball sub casserole and to melt the cheese. The casserole dish can be removed from the oven once the cheese is melted and bubbly.
RELATED: Easy Skillet Lasagna
Meatball Sub Special
I add diced peppers and onions to my meatball sub casserole and it's better for it! If you prefer, you can add mushrooms as well.
Where I live, in our local Italian restaurant, the sky is the limit when adding toppings to meatballs subs.
Add as many toppings as you would like to your meatball sub casserole and make it yours! No additional baking time is required!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Zucchini and Pepper Casserole
- 1 lb meatballs, thawed
- 3 cups of Mozzarella cheese
- 6-8 slices of Italian Bread
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 28 oz pasta sauce, of choice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup diced red and green peppers
- ½ cup diced onions
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- In an ungreased 13x9 baking dish, lay the Italian bread in one layer.
- Combine the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning, and pepper.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the slices.
- Spread half of the Mozzarella cheese over the cream cheese.
- Sprinkle the peppers and onion mixture onto the cheese.
- Combine the thawed meatballs, water, and the pasta sauce.
- Evenly layer the meatballs mixture in the casserole dish.
- Layer the remaining cheese on top of the sauce.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browning.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 604Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 1434mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 23g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.