Peanut Butter Balls (Buckeyes) are a classic Holiday treat! They’re quick to make and only use 5 simple ingredients. They’re also Gluten-Free!
No Bake Dessert
Everything required for this recipe is done on the stovetop. It’s incredibly easy to do and the results are creamy, smooth, and delicious peanut butter balls.
These delicious candies are also known as buckeyes. I prefer to dip mine completely in chocolate because when it comes to chocolate, the more the merrier!
I make these peanut butter balls every year and this recipe roughly makes 38 of them! They’re perfect to add to any Christmas dessert platter and they look great next to cookies such as these Brown Butter Sugar Cookies.
These peanut butter balls store well in the refrigerator and can even be made ahead of time and can be frozen!
RELATED: Monster Cookies (Gluten Free)
Making Peanut Butter Balls
These sweet treats only take 5 ingredients to make and the process is simple to do.
First, the butter is melted down and once it has melted, the creamy peanut butter is mixed into the butter.
Confectioner’s sugar is stirred into the peanut butter mixture. After everything is combined, pieces of the mixture are broken off and shaped into 1 inch balls.
I like to place mine on parchment paper so that they don’t stick.
The next step is to melt the chocolate using a double boiler. Shortening is added once the chocolate is melted. The shortening helps give the chocolate a shine makes it thinner and easier to work with.
After dipping the chocolate covered peanut butter balls into the melted chocolate using the toothpick, shake off any excess chocolate.
The chocolate-covered balls are then placed back on the parchment paper and they sit there until the chocolate has hardened.
I drizzle the remaining chocolate using a piping bottle. It makes it an easy mess-free way of decorating the tops of the peanut buttery goodness.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 16 oz creamy peanut butter
- 11 oz semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 tbsp shortening
- Melt the butter in a small pot and add the creamy peanut butter.
- Once the peanut butter is well creamed into the butter, add the confectioner's sugar.
- Combine well and roll the mixture into 1 inch balls.
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips over medium-low heat.
- Add the shortening and mix well.
- Place a toothpick into the balls and dip into the melted chocolate.
- Shake off any excess chocolate and place on parchment paper.
- Allow the chocolate to cool before putting them in a container.
- If desired, pour the remaining melted chocolate into a piping bottle and decorate the tops of the peanut butter balls.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 38 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g