White Chicken Enchiladas made with a creamy white sauce, green chilies, and shredded chicken. Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese smother flour tortillas to create a cheesy and delicious dish.
Quick and Easy Meal
This white chicken enchiladas meal takes less than an hour from start to finish but this meal can be even quicker by prepping the chicken ahead of time.
My favorite way to make shredded chicken is in the Instant Pot. It doesn't matter if the chicken is fresh or frozen, it still cooks in less than 15 minutes! There is a waiting period for the pressure cooker to naturally release pressure before removing the lid. This step is important because if you rush the releasing time, the chicken will come out rubbery - no one wants that!
If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can boil the chicken on the stove and then shred it.
To make shredding easy, I use a hand mixer to shred the chicken. It's effective, easy, and is much quicker than using two forks!
RELATED:Black Bean and Cojita Dip
Easy White Chicken Enchiladas
Enchiladas are so easy to make and they don't take very long! Once the chicken is cooked and shredded, it's added to flour tortillas along with shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese. The tortilla is then rolled and placed into a greased casserole dish with the loose ends down.
In a saucepan, the butter is melted completely and the flour is added. Chicken broth is stirred into the sauce and it is simmered until bubbly and thickened.
Sour cream and the green chilies are then stirred into sauce mixture and then it is poured on top of the rolled tortillas in the casserole dish.
The remainder of the shredded cheese is then sprinkled on top of the white sauce and then it is baked in the oven for about 22 minutes. To brown and crisp the cheese, broil it for about 3 minutes after it is done cooking.
For added flavor to these white chicken enchiladas, serve them with a homemade pico de gallo!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 10 soft flour tortillas
- 2 cups Monterey Jack, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz diced green chilies
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- cilantro, garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Place the cooked chicken into the tortilla and sprinkle both kinds of cheese onto the chicken.
- Roll the tortilla up and place it face down into the casserole dish.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour.
- Stir in the chicken broth and simmer until it is bubbly and thickened.
- Stir in the sour cream and green chilies until smooth.
- Pour the sauce on top of the tortillas in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes.
- Place under the broiler for about 3 minutes or until the cheese is lightly crisped and browned.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 742Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 854mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 35g