Deliciously easy Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Gnocchi soup made in the Instant Pot and ready in less than 30 minutes.
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar and Gnocchi Soup
This comforting soup is made of sharp cheddar cheese, broccoli florets, and gnocchi. It takes less than 30 minutes to make this soup in the Instant Pot. Blocked cheese is used in this recipe instead of shredded cheese to maximize the flavor. Also, using block-style cheese allows the cheese to melt down much better than the starchy shredded variety.
It's easy to melt this cheese down by cutting the cheese into cubes and adding it into the pot while on Saute.
Fresh broccoli is the way to go to get the most flavor and taste out of this soup. However, if all you have on hand is frozen broccoli, you can certainly use it.
This broccoli cheddar and gnocchi soup is partially pureed by using an immersion blender. It's incredibly easy to use when pureeing soups and there's no need to remove the hot soup from one container to the other. It's also easy to handle and control, as well as easy to store! However, If you don't have an immersion blender, there are a couple of options:
- Use a countertop blender to add half of the soup to and blend on pulse mode for a few seconds. When using a countertop blender, it's important to leave the lid so that steam can escape. Pressure can build up and cause a
- Chop the broccoli by hand before adding it into the pot to be pressure cooked.
Serving Broccoli Cheddar and Gnocchi Soup
Because this soup has gnocchi in it, it can simply be served as a meal with garnishments. It can also be served in a bread bowl garnished with cheese or served with a side of breadsticks.
Make This Soup Even Easier
There a few tricks to making this soup even easier to make. The first trick is to use the Instant Pot, no need to stir during cooking and the Instant Pot does all the work!
- Use matchstick carrots - Sure you can slice carrots by hand into matchstick-size or you can use prepackaged matchstick carrots. It definitely saves time on prep!
- Use cubed cheese - it melts beautifully and doesn't leave a stringy mess like the preshredded variety.
- Skip out on bread bowl - it takes time to carve bread bowls for serving. If there's not time, skip it and serve breadsticks instead.
- 4 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz gnocchi
- ¼ cup cornstarch + ¼ cup water (for slurry)
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add the butter. Allow the butter to melt.
- Add in the chopped onions and garlic, cooking until the onion becomes translucent.
- Press CANCEL on the Instant Pot and add in the vegetable broth and carrots.
- Add the Dijon mustard, black pepper, hot pepper sauce, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add the broccoli florets and close the lid.
- Cook on the setting MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK for 8 minutes.
- Slowly and carefully perform a quick release (QR) once the time is up.
- Carefully remove the lid and add in the cubed cheese and stir to melt. *
- Set the Instant Pot back to SAUTE and add in the milk, and gnocchi.
- Add in the cornstarch slurry.
- Saute for 3-5 minutes and allow the soup to thicken.