Buttermilk drop biscuits are so simple to make – no proofing time and they’re so easy to make because you simply mix, scoop, and drop onto a baking sheet and put them in the oven.
These buttermilk biscuits are great for breakfast or dinner, and spreading melted butter on top of the hot out of the oven really adds a delicious buttery flavor to the biscuits.
Ingredients in Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
Basic ingredients are used to make these drop biscuits and no biscuit mix required! Use what you have on hand to make these quick and easy biscuits.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Granulated Sugar
RELATED: Instant Pot Chili Mac
How to Make Buttermilk Drop Biscuits
Drop biscuits are easy to make and they take little time to get into the oven.
Prepare the wet ingredients: Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and set it aside to cool. Once slightly cooled, combine the melted butter with the chilled buttermilk.
Prepare the dry ingredients: In a separate bowl, the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt are combined.
Mix the ingredients: Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until the dry ingredients are moistened and the ingredients are just combined.
TIP: It’s a good idea to spray the inside of the measuring cup with oil so that the biscuit batter will slide out of the cup and not stick. This makes things easier.
Bake the buttermilk drop biscuits: Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 11 to 13 minutes. Once the biscuits are removed from the oven, melt the additional butter and brush the tops of the biscuits. Serve the biscuits with honey, jelly, or butter.
The biscuits are placed about 2 inches apart from each other and then baked in the preheated oven for about 12 minutes.
While the drop biscuits are baking in the oven, melt the butter and set it aside. Once the biscuits are out of the oven, spread the melted butter on top of the biscuits.
Serve the buttermilk drop biscuits with jelly, honey, and/or whipped butter.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 1/2 cup butter, melted & cooled
- 2 tbsp butter, melted (for brushing)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Melt the 1/2 cup of butter and set it aside to cool.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the chilled buttermilk into the cooled melted butter and stir.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and combine with a spatula.
- Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl to combine the ingredients. Stir until just mixed, do not over stir.
- Grease the inside of a 1/4 cup measuring cup.
- Scoop the biscuit mix and drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 11-13 minutes.
- Melt the 2 tbsp of butter and brush the tops of the baked biscuits.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 346mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.