Flavorful slow cooker salsa verde chicken chili made with tender juicy chicken, a delicious blend of spices, beans, and salsa verde. This crockpot chicken chili has a cream-based broth that is smooth and velvety.
Increase the heat or tone it down based on personal preference. This chicken chili is customizable based on your desired heat level.
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Chicken Chili in the crockpot (slow cooker) produces tender and juicy chicken due to the slow cooking process. One of the best things about cooking with a crockpot is that most of the time the ingredients just get dumped into the ceramic liner, the crockpot gets covered and the timer is set and forgotten about until it is time to serve.
Very few steps are taken when making most recipes in the slow cooker and it’s a great way to prep meals for busy weekdays. It saves time cooking with a crockpot and is the perfect kitchen appliance when there isn’t a rush to get dinner on the table.
Alternatively, an Instant Pot is the perfect kitchen appliance when dinner is a rush and there’s not much time to get dinner on the table. You can even cook frozen meats in an Instant Pot without adding a lot of cooking time in the process. This similar recipe for Salsa Verde Chicken Chili utilizes the Instant Pot.
What’s in Slow Cooker Chicken Chili with Salsa Verde
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts- fresh not frozen
- Jalapeños, seeded for les heat
- Garlic cloves – garlic press makes mincing garlic easy.
- Ground Cumin
- Onion powder
- Chicken broth – low sodium
- Small white beans, drained and rinsed (navy beans)
- Diced green chilies in a can
- Supersweet corn – the frozen variety works great
- Salsa verde
- Heavy cream
RELATED: Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
How to Make Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Chili
Making this chicken chili in a slow cooker is easy. Once the ingredients are added it’s a great “set-it-and-forget-it” recipe.
Add the chicken- Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of the crockpot. Chop the butter and place it on top of the chicken.
Add the veggies- Add the chopped onion, jalapeno, and garlic cloves.
Add the seasonings- Sprinkle the cumin, onion powder, and salt on top of the veggies.
Add the beans- Pour in the drained and rinsed beans. Navy beans and cannellini beans can be used here
Pour in the liquids- Add the salsa verde, diced green chilies, and chicken broth.
Stir gently- Gently stir the ingredients together.
Cook on High or Low- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours.
Shred the chicken- Remove the lid and use two forks to shred the chicken or remove the chicken from the crockpot and use a handheld mixer to shred the chicken and then stir it back into the chili.
Stir in the cream- Stir in the heavy cream until well combined.
Serve- Serve this slow cooker salsa verde chicken chili with sliced avocado, sliced jalapenos, and mozzarella cheese.
RELATED: Crockpot Rotel Dip
How to Fix Chicken Chili that is Too Spicy
Before even slow cooking this chicken chili there are a few things that can be done to reduce the amount of heat in this chicken chili.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapenos, reduce the the amount of jalapeno used, or omit the jalapeno all together.
- Opt for Mild Salsa Verde versus medium or hot varities.
- Choose mild green chilies over hot or medium.
How to Fix Chili That is Too Spicy After it Has Been Made
- Cheese – Serve with more mozzarella cheese. Cheese is a great heat neutalizer.
- More Cream- Add a splash more of heavy cream to the salsa verde chicken chili to take some heat out of the chili.
- Garnish with sour cream – Sour cream tames heat and a good way to reduce spiciness.
- Extra avocado- Ganish with extra avocado. The creaminess and coolness of the avocado with offset the heat in the chili.
Can You Put Raw Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
Sure can! Since it takes hours for the chicken to cook and to get to a safe consumption temperature in a slow cooker it’s important to follow the cooking time for chicken in a slow cooker and to use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is safe to eat.
Can You Overcook Chicken in a Crockpot?
Yes, you can! If the chicken is left to cook in a crockpot for longer than normal, the chicken can dry out and become tough. It takes hours to cook chicken in a slow-cooker regardless of which setting is used. It is best to set the slow cooker on a warm setting once done cooking so that the chicken doesn’t continue cooking and to prevent it from becoming tough or dried out.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, fresh
- 2 tablespoons butter, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 15 ounces small white beans, drained and rinsed*
- 4.5 ounces diced green chilies
- 10 ounces frozen supersweet corn
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of the crockpot.
- Chop the butter and place it on top of the chicken.
- Add the chopped onion, jalapeno, and minced garlic cloves.
- Sprinkle the cumin, onion powder, and salt on top of the veggies.
- Pour in the drained and rinsed beans.
- Add the salsa verde, diced green chilies, and chicken broth.
- Gently stir the ingredients together.
- Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours.
- Remove the lid and use two forks to shred the chicken or remove the chicken from the crockpot and use a handheld mixer to shred the chicken. Place the chicken back in the crockpot.
- Stir in the heavy cream until well combined.
- Serve with sliced avocado, sliced jalapenos, and mozzarella cheese.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
*Substitute small white beans with navy beans, Great Northern Beans, or cannellini beans.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 411Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 649mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 35g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.